Key elements of a quality recess program:
- Provide at least 20 minutes of recess every day for all students, preferably before lunch and outdoors.
- Teach positive playground expectations.
- Create universal participation by offering multiple activities at recess.
- Map the playground to designate different areas of play.
- Provide equipment to increase participation and to decrease congestion on play structures.
- Provide group games, led and supervised by adults, to actively engage students and help build social skills
- Provide adequate staff training for recess.
Active Recess Resources