Robbinsdale Area Schools is committed to the health and wellness of its students. Birthday celebrations at school can provide a unique way to shift the focus from unhealthy foods (cake, candy, etc.) to celebrating the child. Therefore, schools do NOT allow edible birthday treats per the student Wellness Policy #533. Click here to see the policy.
Teachers have their own special way to recognize birthdays in school. However, if parents would like to acknowledge a child’s birthday at school, they are encouraged to do so by:
- Donating a book to the classroom library and/or having a family member bring and read a book to the class.
- Bringing a t-shirt for classmates and teachers to sign.
- Providing non-food prizes such as small school supplies (pencils, erasers, stickers, etc.).
- Organizing a game or craft for the classroom.
- Volunteering in the classroom.
- Visiting the class and talking about how birthdays are celebrated in your homeland.
- Sharing your favorite story/fable/myth from your culture.
- Being creative—come up with your own idea to celebrate at school without food (talk to your child’s teacher about your idea).
Thank you for supporting a healthy and safe school environment!